[techtalk] Re: Disk errors in Event Viewer

  • From: "Gary Colville" <ramtop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 22:10:42 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Ferguson" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "TechTalk" <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2004 4:08 PM
Subject: [techtalk] Disk errors in Event Viewer

> As the drive has tested OK with Maxtors own diagnostic s/ware,
> I guess these errors mean that my IDE port is on it's way out :(

It's almost certainly the drive that's at fault (a +9 by any chance?).
Remember, on IDE drives the 'controller' is the PCB on the drive not the IDE
port.

I've had a couple of Maxtors recently that pass the diagnostic software with
clean result, but are patently sick. One of my +9s gets a clean bill of
health from the diags but does a total drive reset (complete with
scree-clunk noise) whenever I try to load Eve-Online from that drive :(

> Gary, do you remember some time back you posted to tell us about an
> IDE controller card from Maplins ? I bought one but haven't tried it on XP
> yet so, do you think it would work and more importantly, do you know if
> it can be used on a boot drive ?

Yes to both. It works fine under XP without even needing a driver installed
(I just pulled the card from its home in my AmigaOne and tried it) and you
can boot from it, but that *does* need the supplied driver.

--
:::: Gary Colville :::::: Mail : ramtop@xxxxxxxxx ::::