[techtalk] Re: Disk errors in Event Viewer

  • From: Paul Ferguson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TechTalk <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 14:54:19 +0100

Hi Gary,

On 22-May-04, Gary Colville wrote:

> To be honest, I don't know. The few I send back go via the dealer I get=

> them from as it's less hassle. I think your chances are better if you a=
sk
> for an advanced replacement, rather than the usual send-and-wait system=
,
> but that carries the risk of getting charged for the new drive if they
> can't find fault with the old one.

In this case, I think I'm going to bite the bullet on this occasion and b=
uy
another drive *then* try to get this one replaced. Looking on Maxtors sit=
again I spotted this:

"Note: It is necessary to run the Powermax or SCSIMax diagnostic before
contacting Technical Support on a drive that may be defective"

Which I take to mean that you *have* to have a fault code before they'll =
even
consider replacing it.

> Personally, I rarely return drives of 80Gb or less these days as it's
> easier to pay =A340 or so for a new one than go through the process of
> runing diags, generating an RMA, boxing the thing up, posting it, etc,
> etc.

Yeah, I see your point. IIRC this one was a replacement for a 40 Gig driv=
that died horribly so maybe I should take the hint and not buy Maxtor
any more :)

Suggestions for a 120GB PATA drive would be great please folks !
-- =

Cheers,

*Paul*

Death to the fascist insects who suck the blood of the people!