[techtalk] Re: Disk errors in Event Viewer

  • From: Paul Ferguson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TechTalk <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 22:29:05 +0100

Hi Gary,

On 22-May-04, Gary Colville wrote:

 It's almost certainly the drive that's at fault (a +9 by any chance?).

No, it's a D740X

> Remember, on IDE drives the 'controller' is the PCB on the drive not the
> IDE port.

Sorry, I should have thought more about that !      /slap Paul

> I've had a couple of Maxtors recently that pass the diagnostic software
> with clean result, but are patently sick. One of my +9s gets a clean bill
> of health from the diags but does a total drive reset (complete with
> scree-clunk noise) whenever I try to load Eve-Online from that drive :(

No extra noise at all that I can discern. Mind you it'd be hard to hear
in this room, it's like a full blown "give a home to any old PC that can act
as a server" scenario and hence a bit noisy (understatement ;)

So, how do you rate my chances of getting it replaced (bearing in mind that
Maxtor seem to demand a failure code) ? And yes, it's still under warranty.

> Yes to both. It works fine under XP without even needing a driver
> installed (I just pulled the card from its home in my AmigaOne and tried
> it) and you can boot from it, but that *does* need the supplied driver.

Thanks - just wanted to confirm that and you have :)
--
Cheers,

*Paul*

In my opinion this pilot should not be authorized to fly below 250 feet.