[techtalk] Disk errors in Event Viewer

  • From: Paul Ferguson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TechTalk <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 16:08:47 +0100

Hi,

Whilst my PC is slowly recovering data, I had a look in the Event Viewer
and found a lot of errors relating to Disk or Atapi eg:
"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D" which
appears 5 times followed by
"A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort0
Then another occurence of the first error

As the drive has tested OK with Maxtors own diagnostic s/ware,
I guess these errors mean that my IDE port is on it's way out :(

Gary, do you remember some time back you posted to tell us about an
IDE controller card from Maplins ? I bought one but haven't tried it on XP
yet so, do you think it would work and more importantly, do you know if
it can be used on a boot drive ?
--
Cheers,

*Paul*

It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day to day basis.