[TechAssist] Re: norton shuts down xp

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:01:41 -0400

It is some program that is running in the background which is not
shutting down properly during the Windows shutdown cycle. If Win XP has
MSconfig, try running that and disabling certain routines from the
startup. That should isolate the problem. If Win XP doesn't have
msconfig, you can use a program called X-Setup which is a very good
utility for setting some cool preferences to all versions of Windows. It
has a startup manager in it which you can disable or delete programs
from starting up with Windows.

http://www.xteq.com/products/xset/

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984
email: gary (at) number63.ca

Teltek3 wrote:

> Thanks Jerry;
> Seems if I start XP....and not run any programs, then I can shut down OK.
> But as soon as a program is run, it hangs up on shutdown. I presume it may
> be a program that's causing it. and I will pin it down this weekend.
>
> Thanks again..
>
> -Ed-
> Ed Gaidies
> Tel-Tek Electronics