[TechAssist] Re: Digital camera preferences? (wifey awaits!)

  • From: "Damon" <DAMON101@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 07:52:42 -0500

First, 1.3 megapixels will give you extremely high quality in a 5 x 7 print,
but 2 megapixels is good to 8 x 10. All others are BS unless you're an
artist.

2nd, memory...don't worry too much about that. Most cameras will allow you
to shoot at least 8 - 10 highest definition pictures with the memory
provided, and up to 96 pictures in the lowest definition. . Good range of
choices.....I'd be more concerned about cameras that use "proprietary
memory" designs.

Back when I purchased mine, there were 2 choices of memory...Smart Card and
Compact Flash. I know they've evolved, but into what...I don't know. Logical
approach to memory is to go to Kmart and see what they hang on their
shelves. Then get on the phone with your locally owned camera film processor
/ digital camera sales company and see what type of memory is used in at
least 50 - 70 % of today's cameras.

That or you can call 1 (260) 485 - 3003 ask for the owner and ask him what
he recommends. He knows his stuff, I've heard him on the radio. This guy is
set up for photo in both realms, film and digital.

But as for your needs...
Go 1.3 megapixel minimum
8 megabyte card will give you enough.
Buy Nimh batteries (not Nicad).
Docking station is BS (either get a printer with a memory card slot or don't
worry about it, ok?)
Buy Microsoft Picture It
(Adobe Photo does a lot more, costs a lot more, and I don't think your wife
wants to Moire every picture of you, nor Gasteau her poodle, eh?) It's
quick, simple and carrys enough power to do 99 % of your artistic needs.

The best thing I like about digital....Is the fact that I can take a low
light picture, turn up the brightness/contrast and get what looks like a
daylight picture. It's the adjustability of the Picture It software that I
use that really counts.

HTH

Damon Brunger
Telrad Electronic Services