Re: [steem] Processors

  • From: "Steem Authors" <steem@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:30:34 +0100

Hi Summa,

> well, I'm not sure how many others users are interested using
> emulators for other things than playing games, even so I like playing
> those old games as well, but wouldn't it be nice to run Linux in a
> box while in Windows or being able to use Fast RAM and virtual memory
> for ST-Software. Most of the newer applications are able to use that
> additional RAM and emulating an 68030 might also be a first step to
> emulate the falcon too...

The problem with most serious applications, including Linux, is that there
are better alternatives on the PC anyway. So few people actually had
Falcons/TTs it means there are very few killer apps that will only run on
those computers. For running Linux under Windows your best bet is probably
Cygwin, works very well for me.

> I guess you don't have to change that much, since most of the
> software that runs on a 030 don't need perfect processor timing. I
> don't know the steem source code but it might be possible to
> integrate one of the freely avaiable 68030 emulation sources as
> alternate processor to the existing 68000...

I don't think so, it would be a huge job even if it was possible.

> Again, great software und I hope you don't mind my suggestions...  :)

No, not a problem, but I think Falcon/TT emulation is a challenge for
someone else. :)

Thanks,
Russ
--