Re: [steem] Processors

  • From: "Summa" <flotorian@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 05:29:33 +0200

Hi Russ,

well, I'm not sure how many others users are interested using
emulators for other things than playing games, even so I like playing
those old games as well, but wouldn't it be nice to run Linux in a
box while in Windows or being able to use Fast RAM and virtual memory
for ST-Software. Most of the newer applications are able to use that
additional RAM and emulating an 68030 might also be a first step to
emulate the falcon too...
I guess you don't have to change that much, since most of the
software that runs on a 030 don't need perfect processor timing. I
don't know the steem source code but it might be possible to
integrate one of the freely avaiable 68030 emulation sources as
alternate processor to the existing 68000...

Again, great software und I hope you don't mind my suggestions...  :)

...Summa

On 3 Aug 2002 at 15:48, Steem Authors wrote:

> Hi Summa,
>
> > There seem to exist patched TOS versions that works with 68030
> > Hardware acceleators like PAK68/3 for the ATARI ST and STE...
> > If you're interested I can see if I find those patches ...
>
> That could be interesting, although I really don't think writing 020/030
> support would be worth it. There are so few programs that could take
> advantage of an 020/030 processor on an STE and it would be a nightmare to
> get right (as we don't have any 020/030 processors to test things on).
>
> Russ
>
> --
> Steem - http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/
> Manage your list membership - //www.freelists.org/