Re: [steem] Processors

  • From: "Summa" <flotorian@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:19:39 +0200

On 8 Aug 2002 at 17:30, Steem Authors wrote:

> Hi Summa,
>
> > well, I'm not sure how many others users are interested using
> > emulators for other things than playing games, even so I like playing
> > those old games as well, but wouldn't it be nice to run Linux in a
> > box while in Windows or being able to use Fast RAM and virtual memory
> > for ST-Software. Most of the newer applications are able to use that
> > additional RAM and emulating an 68030 might also be a first step to
> > emulate the falcon too...
>
> The problem with most serious applications, including Linux, is that there
> are better alternatives on the PC anyway. So few people actually had
> Falcons/TTs it means there are very few killer apps that will only run on
> those computers. For running Linux under Windows your best bet is probably
> Cygwin, works very well for me.

I will take a look at cygwin...

Well, actually most of the newer ST applications are able use the
additional address space and therefore the RAM and virtual memory an
68030 would mean.
I don't think the Windows alternatives are that much better, lots of
ST software were very well programmed and hardly crashed...
But this is your decision and even if I would have the better
arguments it's your software so I don't mind if you're not willing or
interested in this, since it's your free time you would have to
spend. So far I still got no mail from that friend who'd probably be
able to provide me with the patched TOS-Version...
Btw. if you interested in emulate more colors I found a page with a
free ET4000 VDI-Driver for STs...
I could mail the programmer and ask if he's willing to share the
source code...

http://www.tm.uka.de/~harbaum/atari/stga.html

> > I guess you don't have to change that much, since most of the
> > software that runs on a 030 don't need perfect processor timing. I
> > don't know the steem source code but it might be possible to
> > integrate one of the freely avaiable 68030 emulation sources as
> > alternate processor to the existing 68000...
>
> I don't think so, it would be a huge job even if it was possible.

I don't know how far the 68k emulation is integrated into the rest of
the code or if it's a seperate modul. If I had the time I'd take a
look at the source code...

> > Again, great software und I hope you don't mind my suggestions...  :)
>
> No, not a problem, but I think Falcon/TT emulation is a challenge for
> someone else. :)

Well, I hope I don't cause too much trouble with my ideas... :)

...Summa
A Touch of Future - Project: http://www.mp3.com/AToF/
Casio CZ Synth Station: http://www.mp3.com/stations/CZ/

Boycott the Premium Artist Service!!!