Re: [steem] ATARI-ST ROM-Disk

  • From: "Lance J Armstrong" <larmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:28:46 -0600

Ed,
  I read you comment about no stupid kids on this site.   That would
probably be A-firmative.
I'm 50,  a design engineer for DOD, and still have a room full of ST's,
Mega's.    Why you ask !!!!!
Well, I'm also a musician,  and Atari made the smartest decision in the
world to put MIDI jacks
on their ST's,   not an option,  but a standard feature.      They were
also the best deal at
the time,  much cheaper and better I thought than the 1st Macs out.
   I wrote several little MIDI programs on the ST back in the 80's  that I
still use today.
I was using one of ST's development software packages then,  Lazer I think,
and I still have
the original developers kit.   Of course i haven't looked at it in years.
In the 80's I played in a
computer band with a couple  of ST's on stage performing different tasks.
They controlled our
lights as  well as played the extra instruments our band didn't cover.   I
programmed about
60 songs including Nights in White Satin.   That puppy took about a month
to do.    One
little pgm I wrote would read the notes I was playing and play back extra
notes based on those
notes,  like say for instance a bass note,  or a copy of all the notes I
played an octave or 2 above,
and only the notes played say above middle C.      Pretty neat.   And that
sure made a DX7 sound
much bigger than it really was.     Try playing 16 notes at once without
using the sustain pedal.
It was like having 3 to 4 more hands.
  Well,  also an ST with the internal floppy doesn't take up much space  at
all.  You can stack several
of them up in a small place.   I use some  without even a monitor.   These
work kind of like a
dedicated piece of  hardware,  running only program all the time.
   Now you might ask why I don't just use steem and run several
applications at once from Windows,
therefore not needing all the ST's ?     Well, ST's are really really cheap
now,   and now one
would probably steel one.   They wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.
And then you might
ask,  would I rather play a brand new Fender Statocaster,   or a priceless
classic vintage one from
the past, worth thousands.    Ok,  that wasn't a good comparison.     I
guess the real answer is I'm just
a stubborn old Atari fan.   And to the guy who made the comments about the
flight simulator,  right
on !
  But,  when my ST's finally die,   the pgms will still live on thanks to
steem.

Edouard Lombard tapped away on the keyboard on Monday, February 16, 2004
9:14 PM: and came up with the following:

> Hi Atari friends,
>
> I just wanted to say : I love my Ataris!
> I bet that there is no stupid kid on this mailing list (such as the
> ones you can find on IRC) that will try to mock me.
>
> Why not tell us about your own Atari story?
> How many do you have?

Four.

Edouard Lombard tapped away on the keyboard on Monday, February 16, 2004
9:14 PM: and came up with the following:

> Hi Atari friends,
>
> I just wanted to say : I love my Ataris!
> I bet that there is no stupid kid on this mailing list (such as the
> ones you can find on IRC) that will try to mock me.
>
> Why not tell us about your own Atari story?
> How many do you have?

Four.

--
Steem - http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/