[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: temperament

  • From: ANN SCHULTZ <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pruett@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:22:00 -0800 (PST)

I agree with Laurie, especially about the puppies. I have some 5 1/2 month old
puppies that have hardly seen a leash and the only thing remotely resembling a
judge that they have seen all winter is a snowman. They are very happy and
outgoing, but one temperment test done wrong can ruin that . Their first class
will be in a show. Maybe the board should reconsider changing this for puppies.
                                                          Ann

www.geocities.com/edangsd
pruett@xxxxxxxxx wrote:The following is what I sent to Lew Bunch when he asked
for input to take to the
GSDCA Board of Directors regarding the temperament test:

I have strong feelings about the loose lead temperament evaluation. I don't
think that a breeder judge needs to do this test in order to determine
temperament. The non-breeder judge often does not understand the test and does
not perform it correctly. Some breeder judges go too far with the test in
order to show the world that they are doing it or that the dog has a problem.
I've seen dogs stared at, dogs stalked, dogs hugged, dogs slapped on their
sides, dogs chased 3 times around the handler - none of which is part of the
evaluation.

I HATE this test for puppies. There are so few matches now which means that
many puppies are ring trained in a real dog show ring rather than at a fun
match. An uncertain puppy (read green, inexperienced) can be damaged by a
judge who forces them to do a loose lead temperament test. An otherwise sound
puppy can all of a sudden enter a developmental fear period and you can play
hell trying to de-program them after a bad ring experience with the loose lead
evaluation. I like Gloria Birch's approach with puppies. She introduces
herself to each puppy by going down the line, talking to and patting each puppy
on the head. This approach is much kinder to the babies than is the current
test which requires them to stand their ground in the center of the ring, by
themselves, while a stranger approaches them. This is difficult for the babies
when the evaluation is done right and can be devastating when it is done in
some of the oh so creative ways I have seen it done.

I also think that it is wrong to ask all-breed judges to single out the German
Shepherd at the group and BIS level by requiring that they do the loose leash
temperament evaluation on our breed and our breed only. It sends the wrong
message to the public in this day and age of increasing difficulty with
obtaining homeowners insurance when you own a "dangerous" german shepherd.

I do think that temperament is important - but honestly don't think that this
evaluation assists any knowledgeable breeder judge with the evaluation. That
said, I have no problem with requiring it for the adult classes, but really
don't think it should be required for puppies through the 12-18 month class.

Laurie Pruett

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original