[ SHOWGSD-L ] temperament

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 08:27:29 -0700 (PDT)

When any dog of any breed or breeds is clingy or cannot 'live' without that one
special person, it is not that the person is really so special, it is most
likely that the dog is convienced by the person's behavior that the dog is in
charge.  Being in charge of humans is a very big task for dogs.  It is lack of
leadership by the humans and the dog is now running the pack.  Of course dogs
cannot live without the pack they are responsible for!!!!  I cannot live
without my children either, they are the reason I get out of bed in the morning
(ok, at my age, the bladder has something to do with it too).

  Dogs that can be moved from pack to pack are dogs that understand that they
are following not leading the pack.  As long as there is strong leadership,
dogs adjust very well.  But dogs that are not given strong leadership might
very well prefer death to the loss of their pack that they must have failed
since they were the leader and now there is no pack.

  These are the dogs who cannot adjust to new owners, or the loss of an owner.
Once they are mature, entact or not, if they have been the leader, they will
'die' or actually die from the loss of their pack.
  sheila, the dog trainer and behaviorist

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training

Yahoo! Mail goes everywhere you do.  Get it on your phone.