[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: temperament

  • From: "Shepherd Hill Kennels" <shephken@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 06:38:32 +0930

hrmmmmmmmmm .......... reading this message, I just have to respond.  The
10yr old bitch (Zoe) I was referring to in my earlier post is definitely
'not' the boss of me or my kids.  An alpha bitch??  Sure.  But alpha bitch
to my other dogs, not to me.  Zoe was from my 1st breeding, and has lived
with me all her life.  Her mother was rescued from a home where her basic
needs were attended to, but that was all.  Both these bitches have spent
time away from me at various times in their lives - sometimes just a few
days, sometimes 2 or 3 weeks.  And sometimes they have stayed home while I
went away.  In all cases, they were looked after people they knew and
adored.  And in ALL cases, they fretted and pined and would not eat or
drink.  The longest period Zoe ever stayed away from me was 7 weeks - and
she stayed with my mother, who she absolutely adored.  In EVERY case, Zoe
came back skin and bones and very depressed (until she saw me).

I travel interstate 2 or 3 times a year and will be away from home for 3
days.  I have a housemate who Zoe adores, and who often helps with feeding
and walking the dogs.  When I go away for more than 2 days though, Zoe will
fret and lose considerable weight while I'm away - even for such a short
time and her being in her own home with her pack mates.

I'm sorry, but I would never again 'willingly' subject her to that trauma.
I have 11 german shepherds at the moment.  Each and every one of them will
adjust if/when re-homed.  But without doubt, Zoe would not.  I really
believe that each one of us knows our dogs, and that this subject is an
individual, case by case, decision.

Anita & the Furkids
Tarsha - at the Rainbow Bridge - gone but never forgotten