[ SHOWGSD-L ] question

  • From: ~donna~ <meiypeke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 15:05:58 -0500

Msg: #1 in digest
From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Obedience judge was wrong
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 12:04:31 -0500

I agree with you Tom..When I started in dogs I did obedience...then I
graduated to teaching. Whenever my students were preparing for
competition..especially during the long sits and downs..we would
intentionally have some of the other students walk their dogs  very close
to the dogs that were doing the exercise...we would try to create as many
distractions as possible. We even had other students doing the recall ex
cerise in front of the dogs that were in the line up. I would walk between
them..step over the top of them. the object of the exercise was to
reinforce to the dog..that no matter what the circumstance..he was not to
break the sit or down, not matter what temptation was presented. In my
opinion..if you have to have a "sterile" environment in order for your dog
to obey you..then you dog is not trained..and is not obedient. I saw a
similar situation in WI this past Sept. the obedience people were yiping
about the interstate noise..and the noise created at the conformation ring.
My suggestion would be to take your dog and train him where there is
traffic...and also take your dog and practice some exercises at some inside
all-breed shows..where there is alot of  noise and tons of distractions.
That is how I used to do it..and often my dogs were in the ribbons at all
breed obedience trials.C.Grainger

/from a new person to the GSD ring,
I have shown another breed in obedience and titled them also, even
to having the #2 for the year in the breed,.,,,,
but with the intelligence of the GSD breed, why do they need so much
"extra help" to show to their fullest potential in the conformation ring?
can't they "learn" to show with animation, stack and be alert without all of
the
outside ring help?   if they don't have the "attitude" in the ring then maybe
they just don't like showing..... other breeds show to their fullest without
the
extra help, many trained to do so and others who just love to show.  From
someone
who has shown other breeds and heard the negative comments about how the
GSD must not be able to learn to show without all the extras,,,,,the double
handling doesn't make them look that much better to others, only that they need
help......
just a question,,,,, knowing in advance that I will get slammed down for
asking, in reading responses from other questions, <g>
this list is very clique' to new people  <g>
donna

/

---