[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Man Faces Felonies in Deaths of 2 Dogs

  • From: LARRY D BUTLER <bld4@xxxxx>
  • To: <rockylizard@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 04:40:37 +0000

I hope I never have to decide between my horses and someone else's dog.  My
horses would win every time.  That being said, I do have very secure fencing
around the horses.  I'm wondering how these people could have lost another dog
to this "man" and still took chances with dogs running loose???

Kathy> From: RockyLizard@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [
SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Man Faces Felonies in Deaths of 2 Dogs> Date: Thu, 15 May 2008
22:05:22 -0600> > Utah state code 18-1-3. Dogs attacking domestic animals,
service animals, > hoofed protected wildlife, or domestic fowls.> > Any person
may injure or kill a dog while:> (1) the dog is attacking, chasing, or
worrying:> (a) a domestic animal having a commercial value;> (b) a service
animal, as defined in Section 62A-5b-102; or> (c) any species of hoofed
protected wildlife;> (2) the dog is attacking domestic fowls; or> (3) the dog
is being pursued for committing an act described in > Subsection (1) or (2).> >
Notice it says nothing about whether the location of the domestic animal the >
dog is attacking is a farm or a backyard.> Many states have similar laws. I
have no idea about Pennsylvania, but it > wouldn't surprise me if they did.> >
There's no question that the guy was a huge jerk, especially if it's true >
that he threatened the family, but again I will not ever condemn anyone for >
protecting their livestock from dogs.> > It's great that you saved a Malamute,
I have done the same with a Lab I > found in my yard--but he wasn't harassing
my animals. If he was, well > <shrug> why should his life be worth any more
than the lives of my sheep, > goats, or chickens?> > Liz in Utah> > > > > > > >
<REPLY> This was a case of a dog being shot in a backyard - not on a farm> >> >
And if the owner is chasing the animal (it happened behind my house where > >
my upper neighbor'> > s dog broke its leash and the owner chased the dog onto
the farm only > > watch the farmer shoot> > the dog in front of her - he could
have just as easily shot my neighbor > > and he paid a hefty fine for> >
cruelty)> >> > There is no law that I know of in PA that allows someone to
shoot a dog > > for chasing a rabbit,> > deer or turkey> >> > I live in a farm
area. I went down the road to all the sheep farmers, > > gave them my number
and> > promised them if they saw any GSD - didn't have to be mine - that I
would > > come and get the dog> > and pay to replace any livestock.> >> > My
dogs all have great recalls, but fences fall and snow drifts over the > >
fence. I can scream with> > the best of them, but if the dog is two miles down
the road, it cannot > > hear me!> >> > I have found an alaskan Malamute in my
back acres. I placed him in my > > puppy pena nd went> > and looked all over
the township for his owner. I found the owner after 4 > > hours of searching
and> > he came to get his dog. Turns out the dog had run the iditarod the year
> > before. The new kennel> > help improperly latched his run and the dog
wandered MANY miles until he > > found my dog> > compound> >> >> > Doc Zoe> >
Wynsum http://wynsumgsd.com> >
Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. > > ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT
THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS
ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE
LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF
THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED. > > For assistance, please contact the
List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> > VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org>