[ SHOWGSD-L ] Man Faces Felonies in Deaths of 2 Dogs

  • From: "Doc Zoe" <wynsum@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 23:28:35 -0400
On 15 May 2008, at 20:58, Liz wrote:

 I'm sure I'll get blasted for this but I would also be very likely to shoot
 any animal that was on my property harassing my livestock.

 To me, this issue was more of a problem with the owner a) letting the dog
 off leash and b) not being able to call the dog back immediately when he
 crossed onto this person's property and began chasing the turkey or
whatever
 it was that he was doing.

 Sad, but I don't condemn any farmer protecting their livestock.  I HAVE
 livestock and I know what the horrendous problems are with dogs running at
 large.

 Liz in Utah

<REPLY> This was a case of a dog being shot in a backyard - not on a farm

And if the owner is chasing the animal (it happened behind my house where my
upper neighbor'
s dog broke its leash and the owner chased the dog onto the farm only watch the
farmer shoot
the dog in front of her - he could have just as easily shot my neighbor and he
paid a hefty fine for
cruelty)

There is no law that I know of in PA that allows someone to shoot a dog for
chasing a rabbit,
deer or turkey

I live in a farm area.  I went down the road to all the sheep farmers, gave
them my number and
promised them if they saw any GSD - didn't have to be mine - that I would come
and get the dog
and pay to replace any livestock.

My dogs all have great recalls, but fences fall and snow drifts over the fence.
I can scream with
the best of them, but if the dog is two miles down the road, it cannot hear me!

I have found an alaskan Malamute in my back acres.  I placed him in my puppy
pena nd went
and looked all over the township for his owner.  I found the owner after 4
hours of searching and
he came to get his dog.  Turns out the dog had run the iditarod the year
before.  The new kennel
help improperly latched his run and the dog wandered MANY miles until he found
my dog
compound

Doc Zoe
Wynsum http://wynsumgsd.com