[ SHOWGSD-L ] Double handling

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 16:53:49 EDT

In a message dated 5/15/05 9:37:19 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx writes:
I said  that discrete, well  executed double
handling may be a boost to a  bored dog.

I have been watching this thread with interest. Although I seldom post, I
did want to give my side of double handling.

When I am in the ring, I seldom want double handling on my dogs, but the
owner/breeder, (read Tedi) does. She wants the ears up, the dog alert, and
expressive. I usually want to slow down the dog, and the ears are my last
concern.

When I am judging, I often take time for the double handlers to get in the
right position, let them do what they want, and then try to judge the dog when
no one is calling him. I seldom notice the ears, so long as they are not
hanging  down, or cropped.

The point is that the double handlers want to be part of the win, (and  never
to blame for the loss). This show stuff includes everyone, and often the
double handler gets to feel involved, when not always needed. That is a good
thing, from my view point.

Often the double handlers do more harm than good, from the stand point of
the judge, but it is still a good thing, if it makes the show more fun.   You
can always ask for one pass without any doubling, and I often do.

Keep on doing whatever makes it fun for you, but try not to involve the
other rings. That is just bad manners, and we German shepherd people lead the
way
in good sportsmanship and hospitality within the breed. We need to keep our
reputation intact.

Evan

_Asgard German Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together