[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Double handling

  • From: DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 23:16:43 EDT

In a message dated 5/15/2005 5:51:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jeanniemccann@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Somone wrote that they thought it was "too  funny"about carrying
the cat around the ring to double a GSD. Well,I find  it "too pathetic"
that they have to resort to baiting a dog with a live  animal to get the
proper results

Jeanmarie,
I can assure you that the cat was not used as "bait" but that the dog and
the cat are great friends and the dog may have been animated at the thought of
his buddy being out there.  I have seen Leslie's cats and dogs interacting  -
it is pretty neat.  AND..... the cats rule the household.

By the way, other breeds are not asked to gait at the end of an 18 foot
leash and thus may require less motivation... and other breeds also use bait
and
squeaky toys to enhance their show performance.  Have you seen some  show
rings after a toy breed leaves the ring?  It is littered with pieces  of bait,
liver, cookies, etc.  I am not a proponent of some of the crazy  double
handling
we see at some GSD shows (loud cow bells, whistles, etc.) but  discrete, well
done double handling can be a boost to a breed that is too  smart to run
around in circle time after time.

Dania