[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Double handling

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 00:03:23 EDT

In a message dated 5/15/2005 9:36:22 PM Central Daylight Time,
gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx writes:
So in essence you are saying the rules can be broken so why not. Well then
why the he** are there even rules there?
Why would you assume everyone would be "lumbering" around? The dogs that are
*happy* to show would still strut their stuff! Maybe a change would need to be
made to ring size or shape or something?

Your theory about speeding up if everyone else around you is speeding is
scary. That requires absolutely no thought. Isn't that like being a sheep
instead
of the herder?
I have no idea why that particular rule is there.  I suspect it is a leftover
from a stuffier dog show era. Aside from intelligent efforts toward
maintaining a friendly and safe environment, I think double handling should not
be
against the rules.

I've shown dogs for 27 years, and my wife handled professionally for about 15
of them.  I've seen and worked with too many dogs to count.  The ones that
just went in and "strutted their stuff" to eternity, were rare, and not always
the most intelligent dogs in the bunch.  I've seen excellent dogs look mediocre
because they just had no reason to do more than move along with their
handler.  That lack of animation is not necessarily a character fault.  In
fact, if
we just expected our dogs to do mindlessly happy laps with no needed
encouragement, before long you would see nothing but hyper animals being bred
and shown.

You may be happy to know that I've been driving for 31 years and I've never
had a speeding ticket. <G> There is that one failure to yield to a pedestrian
when I was 18, but I was going about 3 mph at the time ... and her broken
finger healed fine.  The point of the analogy was if you want to compete, you
have
to play on the same level as your competition.  I don't really care if anyone
considers that sheepish or not, but you are mistaken if you believe coming to
that conclusion requires no thought.

Tom Langlitz