[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Double handling

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 21:02:14 EDT

         Somone wrote that they thought it was "too funny"about carrying
the cat around the ring to double a GSD. Well,I find it "too pathetic"
that they have to resort to baiting a dog with a live animal to get the
proper results.
 Why is that pathetic?  No one suggested the plan was to feed the cat to the
dog.  I think sometimes folks read too much between the lines. Yesterday, a
friend suggested having her young grandson double their dog.  Now you have me
picturing someone dangling the boy by his feet and jogging around the ring. <G>

Double handling is part of dog shows today.  It may be against AKC rules, but
then if the AKC were serious enough, the practice would be easy for them to
stop by making the rule a strict one with always enforced hard penalties.  In
Germany, doubling is part of the game.  In England, it is apparently banned.
Somewhere in between we have AKC shows.  I suppose we could all dress up in our
Sunday best and silently watch our dogs lumbering around the ring until the
judge politely points to one or the other?  I prefer a little excitement though
... and doubling can actually become a side competition in itself.  <G>

My theory is simple.  If I'm driving the speed limit and everyone is passing
me, I speed up.  It's either that or get run over eventually.

Tom Langlitz