[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Did I ever tell you you're my hero?!

  • From: "Rachel Anderson" <gsdk9rat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:47:41 -0400

I have 2 to share:
a GSD friend Armand Dostie, a breeder for about 50 years (Doernhaus), shared
this story with me many years ago, I feel awful but I can't remember the
little shep's name:

During WW 2, there was not a lot of penicillin, sulfa drugs, etc. for the
civilian population, never mind the pets, so when a little bitch that he had
out on a co-ownership came down with pyometra he thought there was no chance
of her surviving. Her family, though,  had her spayed and spent a small
fortune  to get the meds she needed and she did end up recovering.

One afternoon the family was out in the hay fields getting in the hay with a
horse team and wagon. The smaller children were playing on the edge of the
field while the parents and older kids loaded the wagon. Suddenly the horse
team stepped on a nest of ground hornets and bolted. Unable to stop them the
parents were horrified to see the horses headed straight for the little
kids. Then, they watched as their little female charged straight at the
panic-stricken team, putting herself between the horses and "her kids",
barking furiously as they ran directly at her...undaunted by their size she
hurled herself right into their faces, biting and snapping them out of their
panic and causing them to veer away from the kids, who were unhurt.

Sadly, not so for her, she gave her life for the family who saved hers.

The other story will have to wait.
Rachel Anderson
Proud Blue Star Mom of PFC Aaron Anderson, USMC
http://aaronswoodsarabians.homestead.com
http://www.k9-workshop.com
http://segensreich.homestead.com
"Don't Give Up (You are loved)"