[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Did I ever tell you you're my hero?

  • From: Christina Klahn <ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GSD <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:24:16 -0700 (PDT)

Okay, so I too am loving all these posts about hero dogs.  Although my dog hero
story is not about a GSD, I had to share.

  When I was very young, we rescued a husky mix at the tender age of 4 weeks.
The dog, named Yogi, looked a lot like the dog in the 90s movie White Fang.
Besides servings his pack with the loyalty of a GSD, he was extremely
protective of his "charges."  Who knows, maybe deep down there was some GSD in
there.  He lived with my grandparents, but then again, I was there most of the
time too.

  One year, my uncle was in town visiting and stayed with my grandparents.  He
didn't much care for dogs, but he tolerated Yogi.  My grandparents lived in a
very old house and as with many old houses, there was an old wood burning stove
in the basement that was the primary means for heating the house.  One cold
winter night, Yogi tried to wake my uncle.  Not thinking much of it, he turned
over and went back to sleep.  Minutes later, Yogi jumped on the bed and
practically pushed my uncle out.  Guessing he really "had to go," he got up to
let Yogi out.  However, when my uncle went to find Yogi, he found him by the
old stove staring intently at it.  It was then that my uncle realized that the
fire left burning in the stove had heated up a joint in the pipes to the point
it was beginning to burn through.  To this day, we believe tragedy was avoided
that night because Yogi knew something was wrong.  Lets just say my uncle still
wasn't a dog lover, but after that, he was a Yogi
 lover.  Yogi passed about 6 years ago, but he was one of those dogs that you
never forget.

  Tina
  Illusion GSDs