[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Did I ever tell you you're my hero?!

  • From: "Beryl" <arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:58:08 -0700

This thread is very enjoyable and interesting. As a child (youngest of 6) I
grew up hearing stories about a dog my older siblings had. He was a GSD, and
his name was "Pat" for Patrick. Don't ask because I don't know. ;-0 He was
before my time, I only heard the stories.
When My husband and I bought our first home his aunt had a neighbor who had
a litter of puppies. Backyard breeding, obviously not planned but they were
cross bred Collie X GSD. We decided to get one, they were free. I choose the
name of "Pat" because of the childhood stories I had heard. This dog had the
color and markings of a Collie, erect ears, smooth coat and saber tail of a
GSD.
We at the time had one child, a boy who was just over a year old. The dog
was very good with our first born, Rick.
One weekend my husband rented a cement mixer to pour some concrete squares
for a patio. I was in the house with our toddler. I suddenly realized that
he had gone from my view. I went out just in time to see our dog,"Pat" pull
him down by the seat of his pants(diaper) to keep him from harms way. Our
son and the dog were out of sight, as my husband was shoveling gravel into
the cement mixer. Of course when Rick, began to cry, that in turn caused my
husband to stop filling the mixer, turned it off  and try to find out what
had happened. He hadn't realized that our young toddler was just about to
get in harms way, when he was pulled down to prevent that from happening.

That crossbed dog lived to be 12 years old. We knew from our many great
expierences with him, that the next dog we would own would be a purebred
GSD.
Our second one was a mistake, purchased from an ad in the Sunday paper. He
was the last puppy, had we known better at the time that should have been a
clue. He was not sound. We did train him and competed in Obedience, earning
a CD and then a CDX.  His unsoundness taught us a lot, and we eventually
realized he was a like leaving a loaded gun lying around. He was put down.

In retrospect, we learned a lot from our early mistakes. We went to shows,
talked to breeders, visited several. The next purchase was after we learned
more about what was correct and incorrect, particulalry in temperament.
Without total soundness and the correct temperment, you don't have a GSD.
Our next purchase was a GV Yoncalla's Mike daughter. What a joy she was, we
were hooked !  She became our first champion and our foundation bitch. Ch.
Tucker Hill's Gretina CD, was the beginning for Arelee GSD, so may years
ago.

Beryl Eshom
Arelee GSD
Davis , CA.