[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Did I ever tell you you're my hero?!

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Showgsd-L" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:12:17 -0400

Three years ago, our GSD "Harry" may have saved my life.  I know he
saved me from serious harm...

My husband and I took in two teenage boys who were living on the
streets of D.C.   They were runaways with a history of drug abuse.
They needed to get out of that environment, so my husband and I
hired them to do odd jobs around the house so they could save enough
money to find a place to live and search for real jobs.

Everything was fine for a couple months until the boys earned back
their driving privileges and went to see some "friends."  Within two
days, all our GSDs began acting a little strange around them.
Especially Harry.  (All the dogs loved the boys before this.)

Harry began planting himself between the boys and me at all times.
When we put Harry in his bedroom for the night or for a nap, he
opened the door.  He would not let me out of his sight.  We were
shocked!  Harry had never opened a door in his life!  If the boys
were outside, Harry blocked the door so I couldn't go out.  This
continued for a few days until I discovered something...

One night, I heard something on the roof and discovered the boys had
climbed up on the roof to smoke crack cocaine.  The next day, I
searched the car we bought for the boys.  I didn't find drugs, but
in the trunk, I found a huge weapon cache!  Knives, machetes, brass
knuckles, swords, whips, Nunchakus, tridents, Tonfas.  There had to
be at least fifty weapons in that trunk!

I called the boys' therapist to make an appointment for that
afternoon.  After the appointment, the therapist called me and told
me she felt I was in grave danger.  One of the boys was extremely
angry with me because I had questioned his behavior.  Somehow Harry
knew!  We had some scary moments, but I wasn't harmed thanks to
Harry.  BTW, after the boys left, Harry never opened another door.

Paulette McGuirt
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam

Postscript:  One boy was taken to his father living in another
state.  The angry boy went back to D.C. and went through some tough
times.  Now, he's helping kids living on the streets of D.C. - just
as he was three years ago.   Mayor Fenty heard what the boy and a
friend are doing and paid them a visit a couple weeks ago.  Now, the
boys will be meeting with the Mayor to discuss the possibility of
getting a grant to open a community center in one of the toughest
neighborhoods in the city.  That *no longer angry* boy is my nephew.
I'm so proud of him!