[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Did I ever tell you you're my hero?!

  • From: Riatagsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:52:39 EDT

I was at physical therapy on Monday for what is turning out to be chronic
tendonitis of my left knee from an injury I suffered as a 7 year old  child, (I
will NOT tell you how long ago that was!!)  :-),  but  anyway the staff was
asking me how my dogs did this past weekend in  San Antonio.  Of course Seuss
and Ikon were only entered one day which was  Wednesday and I told them that
Seuss went WD and Ikon went RWB.  When I  went to sit down an older lady (she
looked to be in her late 70's early 80's)  asked me what kind of dogs did I
show.
 I told her my dogs were German  Shepherds and she got such a look on her
face.  She then told me about her  dog Major, a German Shepherd that she and
her
family had when she was in grade  school.  She said Major would follow her and
her sister through the woods  to the road where the school bus would pick
them up.  She also said he was  always there when the bus brought them back in
the afternoon.  One day she  said she and her sister were waiting for the
school
bus and Major was busy  sniffing around like dogs do when a car stopped a few
feet from them.  A  man got out and tried to grab them and she said Major
came racing to them and  attacked the man.  The man got away, but they were
safe.
 She had  tears in her eyes when she talked about how she believed that Major
saved their  lives that day.  Although she has had other German Shepherds
that she loved  dearly, she said they were never Major.  From what she told me
it
appears  Major lived to be 13/14 years old.  The lady's daughter came out
from her  therapy session and we said goodbye and they left.  I will never
forget
her  or Major.

Judy
Riata German Shepherds