Re: [Scoaa-members] Auto-discard notification

  • From: jay lambert <jayfolks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scoaa-members@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 09:03:54 -1000

Hi Mike--We have our valves upstream of the bulb so they're easier to reach in our situation. A bit more fuel wasted but...check eBay for ROT5841 1/4" inline fuel shutoff valve--so far they have worked great. Most lawnmower/garden shops will carry them but eBay worked for us--free shipping too.

I agree, this is a terrific board--keep up the great work, everyone...
Jay
On 2/18/2014 3:18 PM, Michael Zotzky wrote:

Ok, a few thoughts about the fuel line shutoff. First off, my writeup refered to the "new at that time" round fuel connectors that Yamaha had swapped to in 2012. These were crap from day one. They leaked when you pulled them off. It took Yamaha only about a year to figure this out and do a recall. The new/replacement fittings look like the old style. Hopefully they work like the old style.
I am intrigued by the fuel shutoff valve idea, Jay. I usually disconnect the fittings to the motor, and let the gas run out before exiting the boat. It takes a while for that fuel to be used up, and this is essentially just what is in the hose inside the motor, and the carb.
Where are you putting the fuel shutoff valve? Downstream of the bulb I suppose, so you don't have to reprime that.
Can you send me a link to the fuel shutoff valve part that someone sells?
How long does it take to run the fuel out of the system if the shutoff is upstream of the motor. I gotta think a long time? The new engines are pretty miserly when it comes to fuel use.
Gotta love this board for great discussion on our boats!!!!
Mike