[rollei_list] Re: xenotar 2.8f vs planar 2.8f

  • From: Jeffery Smith <jls@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 14:51:00 -0500

I rarely even consider buying a lens if there are issues of fungus, cleaning marks, or separation. I have had Van Stelten clean half a dozens lenses for me, and some involved polishing, recoating, separating, and cementing. When this happens, we can pretty much toss them out of the running due to other possible influences.

So I guess the question should be "Is a new 80/2.8 Planar better than a new 80/2.8 Xenotar?". :-)

Jeffery

At 02:37 PM 5/11/2006, you wrote:
Regarding older lenses (including my Cord's Xenar), after 5 decades,
isn't the lens performance a taphonomic issue (i.e. dependent on
individual preservation?)

Peter Nebergall

On Thu, 11 May 2006 14:02:09 -0500 Jeffery Smith <jls@xxxxxxxxxx> writes: > Jerry branded me a troll about 4 years ago when I asked the exact > same question. I thought that it was a completely legit question > (then and now), but apparently it is a "hook" question on this > forum. > > By the way, I never bought a Rolleiflex with a Tessar because I was > reluctant to ask about the lens quality compared to the others. > > Jeffery > >