[rollei_list] Re: xenotar 2.8f vs planar 2.8f

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 15:18:26 -0400

At 12:25 AM 5/12/06 +0800, Nelson Chan wrote:
>Hi,
>
>What is the opinion of the group regarding which is the better lens, the
>xenotar 2.8f or the planar 2.8f?

Nelson

Thank you for stirring things up.

List members are encouraged to speak, but it is the Official Rollei List
Policy that there are no distinctions between these lenses.  After all,
Carl Zeiss invented light (unlike Joseph Lucas, who invented darkness),
while Joseph Schneider fled the political tyranny of the United States to
enjoy the liberties inherent in the Kaiserzeit, and found alternate ways to
manipulate optics which, while not infringing upon Zeiss patents, certainly
produced equivalent results.  There is nothing shoddy about the products of
either concern.

I have owned a bunch of Rolleiflex TLR's over the years with both JSK and
CZJ/ZO/CZ lenses, and I cannot tell a difference between them.  I really
like the results I get from the JSK lens on my Baby Grey, but then I also
like what I get from the CZJ Tessar on my Prewar Baby.  The official word
from Carl Zeiss, Joseph Schneider, and Rollei is that there is simply no
difference between the performance of the Xenotar and Planar as used on the
TLR, and that is an opinion which I am happy to adopt as the Official List
Policy, as set forth by this Listmeister und Befehlshaber und so weiter.
<he grins>

Enjoy the conversation.  If someone can document a dime's worth of
distinction between the Xenotar and Planar, I'll be happy to listen but my
own side-by-side shootings over the years have shown no appreciable
difference.  One thing to bear in mind that these lenses were
hand-assembled up to the advent of the GX, so individual variations within
the Xenotar and Planar ranks are far more likely to be of significance than
are distinctions between the lens types.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!