[rollei_list] Re: Scanners

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:07:13 -0500

> At 10:55 PM 11/23/2009, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
>> That's nice as what we are talking about is image making; and the way
>> photography is practiced by 99.9999 percent of the photographers out there
>> making photographs today. They're probably all fools for not shooting film.
>
> That is simply bloviating, Mark.  99.9999 per
> cent of photographers presently making
> photographs do not own high-end digital gear,
> high-end scanners, Photoshop, and high-end
> printers -- most have a digital p&s and process
> it with Irfanview of the like.  And substantially
> more than 0.0001% of photographers are using film.
>
> Marc
>

> msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

The intent was the opposite, Marc  as in the context of the heat of the
argument here where're all excited about the pictures we're making here and
we get a  post poo pooing its its high tech computer talk and he's going to
go sort slides the inference being that's photography we're a bunch of chip
heads.. Well the slides we are sorting are on are screens in Lightroom or in
the Bridge end of Photoshop.  We're shooting like crazy and sorting and
uploading or printing and doing it on a regualr basis.  Why because its not
a precious 50 cents a click.
Most the times you got a luddite response like that and he's not really got
any slides on his slight table either. In the past I've found these guys who
are down are digital photographer were never that up on non digital
photography in the first place.
In the past decade photography has been opened on to the masses. Its not
just one kid in the neighborhood using his dads darkroom its all the kids
get to play with it now. And they are. Big kids too.

In effect what this tread was about was the making of photographs.
On a photo list of any kind this can only be so off topic.

The camera I used to shoot a choir last night cost me 700 dollars its an
amateur body compact which serves me well. The lens a 24mm 2.8 from 20 years
ago I couldn't trade for a subway ticket. The subway ticket being the only
expense last night on the assignment. Ok I  shot about 100 shots 10 mgs each
this will cost me 33 cents worth of hard disk space.

Mark William Rabiner