[rollei_list] Re: OT Mapplethorpe (was Re: Re:)

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 01:43:13 -0500

> I'm no expert on photography, or art, or especially art photography, but my
> impression of Newton's work was that it was not at all negative in his
> portrayal of women.
>
> Quite the contrary, actually: the women in Newton's images are univerally
> strong and confident in their bodies and sexuality; in fact, in the images,
> it's usually the women who are using their sexuality as a controlling power
> over the men in the frame, as well as the implied men beyond the frame (esp
> viewers).  I always thought this was a phenomenal commentary on modern
> society.  (There's a particular self portrait of Newton and his [nude] wife
> where I thought he made a particularly poignant remark about himself etc in
> this regard.)
>
> Doubtless there are more than a few femminists this might be off-putting to,
> but living in the NYC area, I'm confident that there are more than a few
> femminists that would strongly support this portrayal, as well.  Very shallow
> if there is some university somewhere which was unable to see this side of
> things.

There were some feminists  in the late 70's who  thought that just about any
fashion or glamour photography was a negative objectification of women that
the whole fashion industry was a plot to make women feel bad about
themselves.
They're not saying that any more so much if at all as it was obvious really
embarrassing nonsense from the get go. They didn't like Newton of course.

The fashion industry is about selling a dress. Nobody has the slightest
interest in anybody's self concept. Its about money making. Business.
And the photographing and painting and drawing of beautiful people includes
of course men as well as women. So if we want to look  at pretty people who
the hell cares? Those people are well paid. A lot more than the
photographers that's for sure.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner