[rollei_list] Re: OT Mapplethorpe (was Re: Re:)

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 18:01:49 -0500

The huge problem with Mapplethorpe in the US is that he managed to convince the National Endowment for the Arts to PAY him for some of his more outrageous anti-Christian pictures which they then, very stupidly, put on display. This was so over the top as to offend even many moderate and left-wing Christians and agnostics. In the end, the NEA was forced to review its policies and has played a LOT nicer for the past decade. (Admittedly, the NEA has a real problem, in that it cannot justify its existence save as yet another pig at the public trough, but that is a discussion for another day.)

In other words, the issue was far less the crude and brutal offensiveness of his work -- after all, he had the right to produce whatever he wanted to produce -- as the fact that he maneuvered the government into PAYING for this with tax dollars. That was where he went through the fence.

The controversy certainly made him a household word in the US, but not in a very positive light. Whether this resulted in commercial sales, I know not, but it probably did. After all, if you piss off 75% of the people, you then become a hero to the other 25%. And the controversy did not break for several years after his demise, so I suspect that his Trust benefited but he did not.

I find his work neither especially interesting nor well made nor of any quality at all. He was a man on a mission, and I am so out of touch with his mission as to find that his work does not speak to me at all. In my view, he is a third-rater whose only notable act was getting the US Taxpayer to fund his dreck.

Maple White I admire.  Mapplethorpe I do not!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!