[rollei_list] Re: OT Mapplethorpe (was Re: Re:)

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 18:42:05 -0500

At 06:35 PM 3/7/2010, Marvin wrote:

>Aside from the controversy which you mention which had much to do with US
>Politics,( and which I am unable to comment on) Mapplethorpe's success was
>that he presented "pornography" as art. He was able to argue that his
>technical expertise made the photographs art not pornography this was
>further  enhanced by the context in which the photographs were presented
>which again determined their genre etc.
>
>Further, Mapplethorp photographed other subjects than nudes, such as
>flowers, which he did so masterfully.

It has been shown since Classical times that pornographic works can be art. It is the purpose of the work which can make a point of divergence between pornography and art, but, in the end, nudes have been a common element in visual art since the very Longago -- take, say, the Venus de Milo by way of an example -- and homoerotic art is as old -- see K J Dover's GREEK HOMOSEXUALITY for discussions of homoerotic depictions on Greek pottery, for instance. So Mapplethorpe came late to the table if you are suggesting that he proved anything at all with regards to pornography and homoerotic representation and art.

Again, this man's view is that Mapplethorpe was a true third-stringer.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!