[rollei_list] Re: OT Mapplethorp (was Re: Re:)

  • From: Frank Deutschmann <frank.deutschmann@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 15:54:25 -0500

I'm no expert on photography, or art, or especially art photography, but my
impression of Newton's work was that it was not at all negative in his
portrayal of women.

Quite the contrary, actually: the women in Newton's images are univerally
strong and confident in their bodies and sexuality; in fact, in the images,
it's usually the women who are using their sexuality as a controlling power
over the men in the frame, as well as the implied men beyond the frame (esp
viewers).  I always thought this was a phenomenal commentary on modern
society.  (There's a particular self portrait of Newton and his [nude] wife
where I thought he made a particularly poignant remark about himself etc in
this regard.)

Doubtless there are more than a few femminists this might be off-putting to,
but living in the NYC area, I'm confident that there are more than a few
femminists that would strongly support this portrayal, as well.  Very
shallow if there is some university somewhere which was unable to see this
side of things.

-f