[rollei_list] Re: Article

  • From: "Mark A. Kay, M.D., Ph.D." <markay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 20:18:46 -0700

I for one was a canon DSLR user mostly for the reasons you mention. I am primarily interested in widlife and birds and in the case the Canon long lenses and extremely good AF, made canon the best choice. However, when i got interested in landscapes, I found the canon to be lacking on the wide end especially for the full frame DSLR cameras. Therefore , i tried some leica lenses and became a believer. I actually started buying a number of leica R lenses because i was so impressed. However, I believe the differences in optic quality of the normal and longer lenses do not justify the lack of AF. So in the end, I sold all but my Leica 28mm Elmarit R (most recent version) and Leica 100mm macro (which is just a great macro and long range mid tele). Now I also own the contax zeiss 21mm distagon (best wide angle I have ever used), and the contax 35mm PC (tack sharp fully shifted). The rest are canon lenses. I think the Germans make the best glass but the Japanese have really optimized the AF parameters. Mark

You are probably correct. But I know few who buy a Canon DSLR body and then purposely go out and buy Leica Manual Focus R lenses and an adapter.
We can argue this all day long, but typically its people who already own R lenses that want to continue using them. There are some pros and a large Leica user population among the ranks of non-professionals who may do otherwise.
As for me, I own several Canon bodies and prefer Autofocus and L glass. Not that Leica lenses are not good, but they are simply not what I want. To each his own.

Peter K

On 5/31/06, Mark A. Kay, M.D., Ph.D. <<mailto:markay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>markay@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There are clearly some R lenses that are better optically than an L lens on a canon esp. Wide angles
___
Sent with SnapperMail
<http://www.snappermail.com>www.snappermail.com