[rollei_list] Re: Article

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 12:03:14 -0700

Neil,

I agree with you 100%.

I personally know two photographers that use the DMR professionally. And they both state that the only way they would give up their DMR is if it were pried from their cold dead hands!

I personally have absolutely no use for autofocus. But, I can see where autofocus might have a few uses. Those with incredibly poor eyesight could benefit. Photojournalists who are in the thick of a melee could also benefit. That probably sums it up! Oh yeah... point & shoot happy-snap cameras.

Jim

At 07:17 AM 5/27/2006 -0500, Neil Gould wrote:

Perhaps your article was submitted before the DMR was generally available,
which could account for your not knowing someone who owned & used this
back. There are several that I know of at this point in time, and you
won't easily pry the DMR from their hands.

As for using "a manual focus Leica R", there are *many* who derive income
from the use of such, yours truly included. Are we or are we not "pros"?
The IRS thinks so. ;-)

I could go on a tirade about autofocus, and how I really hate fighting a
camera to get the shot I want composed as I intended. Autofocus is the
most ridiculous idea to come down the pike, especially for medium and
larger formats. That is one reason why I would never purchase a 6008AF or
any of its lenses. Autofocus is only acceptable for P&S cameras where the
largish DOF of the lens makes up for the lack of precision or complicated
controls necessary to override the camera's intention of focusing on some
irrelevant aspect of the scene. OK... perhaps I already have committed the
tirade. Sorry about that!  ;-)

Regards,

Neil

--- Rollei List