[rollei_list] Re: Article

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 15:41:01 -0700

Yes, you are right about the digital lenses. I have another article that
will hopefully be published about digital lenses as well.

On 5/25/06, Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At 02:59 PM 5/25/2006 -0700, you wrote:

Anyone interested in Digital Photography, I was fortunate to have an
article published in Ranegfinder.

http://www.rangefindermag.com/magazine/May06/36.tml

Nice survey article. I agree with the notion that some whites and blacks may be out of the range of digital sensors.

I just gave away my first $99 digital, after using it as a learning tool
for the past 4-5 years.

I now have an Olympus E-500, which is a true SLR with interchangeable zoom
lenses, and it has some interesting features, which include a variety of
analysis tools.  Most of them are histograms of one type or another, to
analyze an image.

You can ask it to tell you (and mark) the highlights and shadow areas,
which are out of range, that is they are beyond a range where any content
exists.  You have the choice of accepting the image, or adjusting the camera
to better handle them.  Nice feature.

When I look back to the days when I lusted for an Olympus E-10 and then an
E-20, costing from $4,000 and then drifting down to maybe $1,000, I can see
that waiting was the thing to do.  Even more intestering is that my wife
just got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX3, which performs very well compared to the
E-500 at less than half the price.  It even has a Leica DC Vario -Elmarit
lens.  No red dot though.  It's great for impromptu party shots, etc.  Same
size as a cigarette package, although I don't have a package to compare it
with.

One of the reasons I like the Olympus products is that they have a
correction lens that attempts to make all image light reach the sensor at a
normal angle.

Don Williams La Jolla, CA

-- Peter K Ó¿Õ¬