[pure-silver] Re: thinking of trading the Hasselblad

  • From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 08:09:38 -0800 (PST)

borrow one of your friend's Pentax 67s for
> a weekend?
>
> Actually the friend who has it offered for me to take it
> for a week, when she comes home.  It will be a few weeks
> before that can happen.  Seems the only complaint I've
> read (in the Pentax 67 reviews) is that it's not so good
> for fast shooting and for handheld.  Those are what I
> want... the ability to move quickly, handheld.  I'm
> still going to try it.  I'd love to find that it works
> well for me, and for a good price!
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Janet

Well I would be a bit skeptical, but you have to remember this.  Handheld it is
heavier than most which means that unless you become accustomed to the weight
it will slow you down.  It is also fully manual which means that unless you
anticipate what you are going to need in the way of settings and anticipate the
action, then you are not going to like its "fast action" abilities.  These were
often people that learned in the age of computer aided auto focus 35mm or
digital slrs where those skills were not ever learned.

Now that may mean that many of the same things would be enough of an impact on
you to make you choose another route.  I think both Mamiya and Pentax were
working on an auto focus 645, and I think a few sports photographers were
actually working with them for a while.  I doubt you could put those in the low
cost section though even in the world of digital.