[pure-silver] Re: thinking of trading the Hasselblad

  • From: Brian Reynolds <reynolds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 01:31:23 -0500

Janet Cull wrote:

> A friend has 2 Pentax 67's and is willing to part with one.  I've read
> reviews and they're mixed.  The last one I read said it was a
> disappointment using handheld.  Do you know how the 67 compares to the
> 645?  Thanks again!

I have owned Pentax 645s (manual focus) and Pentax 67s.  (I went
through several used cameras before I gave up on one used vendor and
found a new-old-stock 645 at a local shop.)  I currently own a Pentax
67II (refurbed by Pentax).

I really liked the Pentax 645 for hand held shooting.  I had a 75mm
auto focus lens (the shop didn't have a manual lens when I bought the
body) and a 150mm manual focus lens.  I used a couple of 120 inserts.
The viewfinder was very nice, bright and easy to focus.  The meter
worked well, and the TTL mode worked fine with a Pentax AF-280T flash.
The auto focus lens worked nicely in manual focus mode.

I have the Pentax 67II because I wanted a bigger negative, and I got a
good deal on this camera.  The camera works like a big 35mm camera,
but it is very heavy.  I haven't put them on a scale, but I'm fairly
sure the 67II with AE prism, 105mm lens and flash bracket weights more
than my 4x5 camera.  I think the newer camera would work fine without
the flash bracket, but you might want the bracket with the older
cameras that don't have the gripping area on the right side of the
body.  I have used the Pentax 67 handheld.  I have a few close ups
(105mm lens with Hoya close filters) that I took handheld at 1/30
(flash sync speed) with the Pentax AF-280T flash that are sharp across
the frame.  With the flash as primary light source the exposure is
short enough not to worry about camera motion.  If you want to balance
the flash with ambient lighting, then the 1/30 sync speed is likely
going to be a problem.

I was in the process of deciding whether to keep the 645 (convenient)
or the 67II (big negative) when the 645 was stolen.  If I still had
both I'd probably sell the 67II and keep the 645.  I occasionally look
at Hasselblads (I really like 6x6 and waist level finders), but the
cost of adding additional lenses to a basic camera (body, back, WLF,
80mm) has me using Yashica Mats instead.

In your original post on this thread you mention that you don't like
the Hasselblad being confined to the tripod.  Why do you keep it on
the tripod?  Is it too heavy for you to hand hold?  Do you have
trouble tracking with the waist level finder?  Have you tried one of
the prisms for the Hasselblad?

Can you borrow one of your friend's Pentax 67s for a weekend?  If not
you might want to try renting a 67 or 645.  Actually using the camera
can save you a lot of grief later.

--
Brian Reynolds                  | "It's just like flying a spaceship.
reynolds@xxxxxxxxx              |  You push some buttons and see