[pure-silver] Re: thinking of trading the Hasselblad

  • From: Jeffrey Thorns <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:40:21 -0800

Ah, the eternal struggle between quality (neg size) and convenience. It's why I gave up LF years ago - I just couldn' move fast enough to capture all the things I wanted to shoot.

I have longed wished that some manufacturer would create a camera with the ergonomics and meter of my Nikon F4, but a 6x7, 6x8, or 6x9 neg.

I remember using a Pentax 6x7. Talk about a noise when you depressed the shutter release!

But I've printed pretty much every format between Minox and 8x10 and 6x7 has always struck me as a 'sweet-spot'.

for a Mamiya 645. I don't really mean, "trading", exactly. I might sell one and buy the other. Anyway, tell me what you think.

There's much about the Hasselblad that I like, but... I realize my best images (for the most part) are those I shoot with 35mm. I don't photograph trees and rocks. I shoot things that move. I can't work quickly with the Hassy, so I asked a teacher what he would recommend. And I've watched discussions on this kind of question at APUG. The teacher is going to bring one of his 645s and let me handle it to see if I'm comfortable with it.

Here's what I like about the Hassy. I like that it's loud, clunky, mechanical. I like the sound of the shutter and the advancing of the film. I know those sound silly, but I like that. BUT not enough to sacrifice quality for sound. Obviously. I like that it's totally manual. I use the waist level finder because I had trouble seeing well through the prism I have, and couldn't put the chunk of money on a newer, better one. My eyes are 57 years old, so seeing/focusing is always an issue. I do have a split-image focusing screen, but it takes me a bit to get the image focused and set up - then if it's moved... well, there you go!

I don't like that with the Hassy, I'm bound to a very heavy tripod!

AND I like the big negative.  That's why I won't settle for the 35mm alone.

I have an 80mm lens, a 150mm lens, a lens shade, a couple filters (might I be able to use those with the Mamiya?) and the 500cm body.

I'm thinking that what I really want is a handheld camera with a big negative. Hence: the Mamiya.

What do you think? I'm wondering if I'll be sorry, if I get rid of the Hasselblad. Have you any wisdom to offer? Thanks so much!