[pure-silver] Re: (slightly) OT MF equipment dilemma

  • From: john stockdale <j.sto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 20:39:01 +1000

Hello Cor.
For lightness and compactness the Mamiya 6 is hard to beat in my limited
experience (the one that Ryuji calls "new Mamiya 6" to distinguish from
some much older folders).  They have some potential service problems due to
total absence of certain spare parts, and good ones have become very
expensive recently.  They are, however, a beautifully elegant 6x6 camera
(but the MF version has a cluttered screen).  I travel with the 50mm and
150mm lenses. It's not much bigger than a  "professional" 35mm
camera.  It's hand holdable at surprisingly long shutter speeds, and very
quiet (a plus for me).

If you crop a 6x6 neg to fit 8x10 paper, there should be no difference
between 6x6 and 6x4.5, except for the inconvenience of turning the camera
90 degrees.

The Mamiya 7 is fractionally bigger, but if you like a 50mm lens, you
(probably*) need an auxiliary viewfinder which makes the whole thing a lot
less elegant. For 65mm  lens and longer, the viewfinder is fine. (But in
general the framing of a rangefinder is not accurate anyway, so it's a
matter of taste whether it matters a lot.)   The bigger (56mm x 69.5mm) neg
gives you one size larger in paper (over rectangular print from 6x6) at the
same enlargement magnification, which is a useful improvement.

My other camera is a Rollei SL66, and it weighs a ton, and to hand hold it
you need three hands.  One almost might as well carry a 4"x5", but you
already have one of those.

On the subject of your unsharp photos, my experience is that compared to
35mm, the slower shutter speeds made necessary by the need for a smaller
aperture are not such a problem, but focussing becomes more critical
because of the more limited depth of field.  But if your studio work is
sharp, it might have more to do with your tripod than the camera format.

If your 35mm results are barely satisfactory with 400TMax, maybe you could
try  a good 100 film.  Perhaps, if you're used to large format results,
nothing else will really satisfy. Personally, I find that a 400 film
generously exposed and developed just enough gives very satisfying 8"x10"
prints.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

* The Mamiya 7 with 50mm lens is useable without the auxiliary viewfinder,
but one  must accept a little more inaccuracy with framing (in addition to
the general rangefinder inaccuracy)