[pure-silver] Re: (slightly) OT MF equipment dilemma

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 13:40:18 -0400 (EDT)

From: john stockdale <j.sto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: (slightly) OT MF equipment dilemma
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 20:39:01 +1000

> For lightness and compactness the Mamiya 6 is hard to beat in my limited
> experience (the one that Ryuji calls "new Mamiya 6" to distinguish from
> some much older folders).

I said this in another post, but "New Mamiya 6" was the Mamiya name
for that camera. "New" was there to distinguish from Mamiya Six folder
of 1940s, but the idea of retractable mount came from the folder, but
they wanted to make a modern, usable camera with the inherited
concept. Unfortunatelly they also cite this as an excuse to drop the
retractable mount from Mamiya 7, which they say is an evolution of
Mamiya 6MF and designed with a different concept. They also say the
reliability of the retractable mount was a concern, although they (and
I) know of any problem due to the M6 mount design! All I know is
Mamiya really wanted to drop that costly lens mount.

> It's hand holdable at surprisingly long shutter speeds, and very
> quiet (a plus for me).

Same here, I love quiet cameras.  These Mamiya rangefinders work very
well with monopods as well. I hate to use 645 on monopod for the
obvious reason. I also prefer squares.

> The Mamiya 7 is fractionally bigger, but if you like a 50mm lens,
> you (probably*) need an auxiliary viewfinder which makes the whole
> thing a lot less elegant. For 65mm lens and longer, the viewfinder
> is fine. (But in general the framing of a rangefinder is not
> accurate anyway, so it's a matter of taste whether it matters a
> lot.)  The bigger (56mm x 69.5mm) neg gives you one size larger in
> paper (over rectangular print from 6x6) at the same enlargement
> magnification, which is a useful improvement.

The standard lenses of M6 and M7 are different in characters. M6 is
very sharp and contrasty but the out of focus blur is rather rough and
I don't like it very much for portraits, though I use it anyway and no
one notices. The standard lens of M7 is better in this regard and
provides smoother out of focus blur. Telephotos are good on both
systems.

> If your 35mm results are barely satisfactory with 400TMax, maybe you
> could try a good 100 film.

That was one of the motivations I had to made DS-10!
(Though I use it with 120s as well... and make even bigger prints)
--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."