[pure-silver] Re: (slightly) OT MF equipment dilemma

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 04:51:57 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Breukel, C. (HKG)" <C.Breukel@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] (slightly) OT MF equipment dilemma
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 09:28:19 +0200

> my
> biggest problem is that I produce too may unsharp pictures. I do have a
> few fine, sharp prints, but too many unsharp ones. I always try to use
> the fastes shutter speed, and I guess that focusing with the range
> finder is my main problem, I have difficulties with it, and am slow on
> the focussing.

I think you shouold look at the blurry pictures carefully to see if
the blur is due to camera motion or off focus. If latter, see if
there's any consistent focus bias (too near or too far). Naturally,
depending on the source of the problem, you should be looking at
different kinds of cameras.

I use New Mamiya 6 (which is older tham Mamiya 6 MF), Fujifilm GA645i
and Mamiya C3 TLR. TLR is often on tripod or monopod, but I can use
all these handheld without much camera motion blur. I'm most
comfortable with Mamiya 6 with 50mm or 75mm handheld, with GA645i
coming very close. C3 is not very comfortable hand holding, but it can
capture great moments on street, probably because people are less
disturbed by TLR than eye level cameras.

> So I guess I would like to change my MF equipment. 2 systems come to
> mind: The Fuji GA645zi, a autofocus (has its quirks, but once you know
> them it's ok, it seems) automatic 6*4.5 camera with a modest zoom
> (55-90)

I don't have experience with GA645zi, but if it's like GA645i, I'd get
a Mamiya 6, 7, Fujifilm GS(W)690 or Bronica 645 instead of Fuji. I
often feel that I want to trade my Fuji for a Bronica 645, or even
second body of Mamiya 6. But if rangefinder is the problem, I guess
Fuji is the best available choice.

One problem with most rangefinder system is that, unless you look into
the viewfinder straight, the focusing is inaccurate. Usually, the
viewfinder has meter reading, shutter speed indicator, framelines,
etc. on all sides of the image. You should make sure you are looking
into the viewfinder from such an eye position that you can see all
those display elements entirely. If you look in from a wrong eye
position, some of those framelines or numbers are partially invisible,
and perfectly aligned superimposing images give you incorrect
focus. Any more details of rangefinder optics is probably Richard's
territory. Mamiya 6's rangefinder is very good, but like any other
cameras, it is not completely free from this problem, especially with
the 150mm lens.

If you don't like rangefinder any more, the option is AF, SLR, or TLR.
You can see if Mamiya 645 works for you. I wouldn't use Mamiya RB or
Bronica SQ handheld, but Mamiya TLRs are doable that way. It's a lot
slower operation than Mamiya 6 for sure. One reason I stick with
Mamiya C series TLR is that this is the only workhorse TLRs with
decent optics as far as I can see. Rolleiflex is nice and lightweight
but they command a lot more money. Mamiya TLR's film path is more
straight than most other TLRs and film flatness is less of an issue.
(Look at those Rolleiflex, Yashica MAT, Minolta Autocord, etc... they
bend film.)  BUT I find higher lens flare with Mamiya TLR 80mm lens
than Mamiya 6 or many lenses of Konica 35mm system from the same era.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."