[pure-silver] (slightly) OT MF equipment dilemma

  • From: "Breukel, C. (HKG)" <C.Breukel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pure Silver (F) (E-mail)" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 09:28:19 +0200

Hi,

I have been using a Fujica GS645 Professional (75mm) MF (6*4.5) folder
camera (loaded with HP5+)for a long time now, and I cannot seem to work
with it consistently. On the plus side it's a neat compact travel
camera, I like the concept, but on the down side I find the knob for the
lightmeter small (always looking for it with my finger) en perhaps my
biggest problem is that I produce too may unsharp pictures. I do have a
few fine, sharp prints, but too many unsharp ones. I always try to use
the fastes shutter speed, and I guess that focusing with the range
finder is my main problem, I have difficulties with it, and am slow on
the focussing.

That said I realy want a MF camera for (semi) lightweight traveling and
easy taking along. I do use 35mm (Olympus OM2/Tmax400), but on the whole
I find the quality in my hands barely enough for 8*10 prints (one does
get spoiled whem shooting 4*5 and 8*10).

One point the late Barry Thornton made was that he did not find stepping
up from 35mm to 6*4.5 was such quality improvement. I don't know about
that, but my modest 6*6 studio work (Zenza Bronica) work is far superior
sharpness/smootheness wise to my 6*4.5 work.

So I guess I would like to change my MF equipment. 2 systems come to
mind: The Fuji GA645zi, a autofocus (has its quirks, but once you know
them it's ok, it seems) automatic 6*4.5 camera with a modest zoom
(55-90)

Or an older Mamiya 6, Mamiya 7 (II), a range finder (works better than
the GS645 for me?), bigger camera, more lens options, bigger negs (less
exposures per roll ofcourse).

Neither system I actually held in my hands, let alone have tested. And I
do not see much oppertunity trying these systems in the Netherlands

Any thoughts on this dilemma, experiences with both sysytems, or perhaps
other suggestions (which I have solve myself ofcourse) are appreciated.

Best,

Cor