[pure-silver] Re: print washer

  • From: Claudio Bonavolta <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 17:09:09 +0200

        ----- Message d'origine -----
De: Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 14:07:52 -0400
Sujet: [pure-silver] print washer
À: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
this:
 http://www.freestylephoto.biz/111411-Premier-Print-Washer-11x14

 or this:

http://www.buy.com/prod/8x10-auto-print-washer-standard-accepts-12-8x10-or-24-5x7-prints/q/listingid/75614672/loc/111/203349532.html

 Suggestions?

 Thanks,

 Elias

For RC prints, I process one print at a time and the wash sequence follows the
processing.
Once I finish to prepare for the next print (preparing the neg, easel,
estimating the contrast and exposure, ...), the previous one is fully washed.
I just use a tray and a hose letting the water flow directly onto the print and
water overflows the tray.
RC prints do not like to remain in water to long, so the shorter the better.

For FB, I generally develop all prints up to fixer and pre-wash.
I let then the prints stay in a tray filled with water until the end of the
session.
I then batch process the selenium toning, rinse in a tray (like RC washing
above) and washaid.
Then once again in the waiting tray before the final wash.

For the final wash I use a big (beware of the weight once filled) and cheap
plastic tank with home-built separators:
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/wash.htm

The various compartments are communicating together, not the cascade approach,
but it works reasonably well.
The initial design was to have a continuous flow of water but I prefer now to
use the Ilford wash method: fill/empty the tank several times.

I'm not fully satisfied with actual design and will modify it:
- replace the separators by inox grids to avoid the prints stick to the acrylic
glass
- add some automation to fill/empty the tank without human intervention
- add some agitation (water circulation or air bubbling) to homogenize the
concentration of fixer in the tank and speed up the wash

I must admit that I often finish my printing sessions late at night and let the
prints overnight in water ...
Although this is not desirable, prints do not seem affected.
But if I'm able to speed up and automate the wash while I'm tidying up the
darkroom, I may be able to put the prints to dry before going to bed ...

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch