[pure-silver] Re: print washer

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 08:03:35 -0400

Myron Gochnauer wrote:
http://www.buy.com/prod/8x10-auto-print-washer-standard-accepts-12-8x10-or-24-5x7-prints/q/listingid/75614672/loc/111/203349532.html

Suggestions?

The Ilford "auto" print washer is one of several that I own. It was a
strange design, which works well enough if you are willing to dump
and refill the tank a few times during the wash. That's easy, of
course, because you can just lift the prints-holder out of the tank.
The advertised price in the link is too high for what it is and how
it is constructed. The tank is hard, breakable plastic.

I once had a print washer like the one in the link, above. Although the plastic was clear. Paterson? I did not like it. First of all, the water came in, and drained out, from the same side. This did not inspire confidence. I dissolved a crystal of Potassium Permanganate in there and watched the water flow. As expected, it changed the water mostly in the area between the inlet and outlet.

Second, the rocking mechanism was very touchy. Too much water pressure, and it slammed into one end. Too little, and it did not rock.

I replaced it with a Zone VI print washer, and it works pretty well. I start timing the wash just after I put the last print into it. IIRC, Fred Picker said 1/4 gallon per minute was enough, but I did not find that to be the case. I need to run 1/2 gallon per minute through it, and a wash takes more than an hour. I would say a minimum of 75 minutes (and I hypo-clear before washing).

 ^^-^^ 07:55:01 up 11 days, 15:50, 3 users, load average: 4.41, 4.77, 4.61