[pure-silver] Re: print washer

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 15:14:07 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elias_Roustom" <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2010 11:07 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] print washer

this:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/111411-Premier-Print-Washer-11x14

or this:
http://www.buy.com/prod/8x10-auto-print-washer-standard-accepts-12-8x10-or-24-5x7-prints/q/listingid/75614672/loc/111/203349532.html

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Elias

I am not sure I care for either of these. The first is an old design that works OK for single prints but can not separate multiple prints, the second is too expensive. Here is the problem: in order to wash fiber prints properly the water must have access to both sides. The problem with tray type washers is that if more than one print is washed the prints will stick together unless frequently shuffled by hand. This is also true when using the Kodak Print Syphon. So-called archival washers are arranged to keep prints separated but some don't work the way they were intended to and most use too much water. Nonetheless they seem to be the best of a bad lot. A tray with a Kodak Print Syphon works as well as more complex washers provided that prints are shuffled when more than one is washed at a time. I have an old Zone VI washer, I bought used many years ago. It takes up to 16x20 prints. I found that the rate of change of water in it is quite slow unless I allow it to overflow the top but if I do that it seems to work well. The rate of change of water in a washer can be tested by setting it up and putting some dye in the water. I used juice from canned beets. See how long it takes the water in the washer to be visibly clear. It should not take more than a couple of minutes. A Kodak Print Washer will do this in an 18x24 tray with normal flow rate. The archival washer took more than five minutes when set up according to instructions but would clear the water in about two minutes when allowed to overflow. There are better "archival" type washers than the Zone VI.
    For RC prints the Kodak syphon works very well.