[pure-silver] Re: ZONE VI VC HEAD, was No More Below the Lens Polymax Filter Kits?

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 08:56:00 -0500

BOB KISS wrote:
DEAR JOHN,
        I would be very interested in the reasons you don't like the Zone VI
VC head.  I have been considering buying a cold light VC head (no rush) and
I was trying to decide which one to get.
                CHEERS!
                        BOB

I am not JOHN, but I also have a Zone VI VC head, the one with two tubes, a
blue one and a green one. My main problem with it is that it is too dim so I
need to use my enlarging lens almost wide open (f/8 with a Componon S 180mm)
and it needs 22 seconds with Ilford MG IV paper making an 11x14" print. Also
the soft (green) tube needs too much warmup to stabilize. Mine is not for
sale, but you may wish to keep this in mind. Also, I am not sure I really
get grade V out of it, but this is not important for me. I use mostly 4x5"
negatives.

My other cold light head is an Aristo D2-HI that is at least twice as fast,
and after about 15 minutes warmup of the built-in heater, is stable and
stays so.

While I have not used the Aristo VC head, if you are buying new, I would
suggest that.

 ^^-^^ 08:45:01 up 14 days, 36 min, 3 users, load average: 5.21, 4.29, 4.09