[pure-silver] Re: ZONE VI VC HEAD, was No More Below the Lens Polymax Filter Kits?

  • From: "mail1" <mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 01:31:44 -0800

Jean-David Beyer wrote in part.
>I do not remember how to convert density range to Exposure Scale (which is
>what I suppose you mean by ES). I thought they were identical, but your
>results are so different from mine that i doubt they are experimental
>error, so I hope we are talking about different things.

To clarify my understanding of this matter.

It starts by measuring the subject luminance range, then the determination
of the negative exposure, and then developing the negative to produce an
image. The negative density range can be measured either by an on easel
photometer, or a densitometer, or by eye, to determine the print exposure
scale and a paper grade that matches the negative.
Density Range of the paper is the IDmax minus IDmin of the paper. The IDmin
is usually defined as 0.04 over B+F (paper white) and IDmax is usually
defined as 90% of the maximum obtainable density of the paper.  The IDmin is
usual 0.09 and is represented as a horizontal line starting from the density
scale on the left side of the graph. This line intersects the toe of paper
curve where a perpendicular line is drop to the log exposure scale on the
bottom of the graph.  This establishes the toe side of the paper (ES)
exposure scale. The IDmax varies with the maximum density of the paper and
is another horizontal line that crosses the paper curve where a
perpendicular is dropped to determine the shoulder side of the exposure
scale. This difference between the two points paper is the paper exposure
scale. IT is also equal to the ISO Range. (ES1.0 = ISO Range 100). The ES is
also a relative log exposure which is a measure of Logarithmic value. It is
usually represented on a scale of 0.10 units of density with 0.30 units
equal to approximately 2 steps of a 21 step table. A grade 2 paper, ES 1.00
divided by .15 units equals 6.6 steps of the step table. If you used an
incident light meter modified to measure a projected image by the enlarger
you would measure approximately 3.3 EV values between the high lights and
the shadows of the projected image.

Jonathan Ayers  [mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]>