[pure-silver] Re: The Quest and My Heresy??

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 09:41:58 +0900

Dear Friends,

I used to rise regularly to the question "Is Photography Art?". It has been flicked over the surface of books and magazines for as long as I have been drowning Ilford paper in dim red-lit closets. Sometimes it has a hook embedded in it: "Apologise for being able to illustrate the world far better than I, the easel artist. Then I might let you have some exhibition space. As long as you don't sell more pictures than I do."

   Ouch. That sort of baggage is generally hard to lift, much less carry.

I have started turning the question inside out and back to front. " Is Art Photography?" and I attach the silent implication "Badly done....".Apart from getting hit in the side of the head one time with a coffee-table book on Monet, it has been a good ploy. The original questioner has to defend their "vision" and skill - or lack of it - and the discussion can heat up a small room nicely.

If the "artist" successfully justifies their "art" I like to finish - just before running away - with the comment that it is a pity that they can't really repeat their triumph from one canvas to the next, what with the variables of their medium and waning skills....Would they like me to take some really good copy shots so that I can reproduce the painting.? Who knows, somebody might like to buy a phot for the wall.....

    Uncle Dick

PS: I realise I haven't contributed an answer to the question but I can't remember the question.