[pure-silver] Re: Measuring low levels of silver in fixer

  • From: John Stockdale <j.sto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 08:59:41 +1000

Some of these municipal health and safety inspectors are out of their depth. A friend of mine grows high quality wine grapes here in Australia (the OP is in Oz too, I think). The inspector was at pains to insist that after hand picking, during the couple of minutes  when the bunches of grapes  were carried by hand to the winery 100m from the vines that the bunches of grapes had to be carefully  protected from atmospheric bacteria. My friend pointed out that they had been in the open air for six months but that fact seemed irrelevant to the inspector. A solemn promise was made, the inspector ticked the appropriate box, and all were content.

John

======================
Ralph W. Lambrecht wrote:
I discard fixer when it has 1g/liter, which is 1 ppk and my Tetenal test strip is sufficiently sensitive to read that. This needs to be diluted with 20 liters of water first to get the silver concentration down to 50 ppm. That's too easy. There must be a quantity limit, or maybe they're trying to tell you something...

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com

This electronic message contains information that is confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. This information is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, printing or any other use of, or any action in reliance on, the contents of this electronic message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message immediately.

P don't print this e-mail unless you really have to

On Jan 31, 2010, at 08:35, Peter Badcock wrote:

Sorry for the cross post if any of you also read APUG, but I'll post conclusions to both lists.

So I've searched APUG, pure_silver and the 'net but to little avail. Can folks please list me a few different inexpensive and relatively easy methods to measure/test when the silver in my (yet to be processed/recovered) fixing solution is below 50ppm ? Then my local government authority will permit it to be discarded down the drain.

Some ideas include measuring the conductivity of the sol'n (assuming I am testing for dissolved silver). Also perhaps Colorimetry. No test strips will test such low levels of silver.

rgds
Peter